[Dixielandjazz] PBS series "The War"

George Thurmond gthurmond at stx.rr.com
Fri Sep 28 14:39:04 PDT 2007

	Agree completely with Ringwald on the Left Coast and with
Barbonne on the Right (speaking geographic, not politically).

  "The War" is worth watching all episodes.  I was only 15 when WWII
ended, but I remember well those scrap drives (when I turned in most of
my parents' OKEM shellac 78s), defense stamp day at school, and no
Hershey bars.

	The jazz, swing and ballads background music selections are
great.  That young Sinatra could sure sing a ballad and swing a jump
song.

	But the series is best for bringing home to us what those guys
and gals went through and endured, and what our armed forces are now
experiencing.  The cold and mud of France, and the heat and sand of Iraq
- it's the same hell!

George Thurmond j