[Dixielandjazz] List of Tenor Sax Players

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Tue Sep 25 15:41:23 PDT 2007

Brian Wood mentioned:
> I have never come across any reference to Eddie Miller being
> influenced by
> anyone else, or that he played alto although most reed players can
> switch.

Dear Brian,
John Chilton mentions on page 162 of 'Stomp Off, Let's Go. The Story of
Bob Crosby's Bob Cats & Big Band' (a definitive book) that in a 1937
interview Mr Miller said his influences were "Leon Roppolo, Johnny
Dodds (and Coleman Hawkins)."
John also mentions that "by 1926, Eddie's skills, both on clarinet and
on alto-saxophone, had gained him a good reputation among the young
musicians of New Orleans....... (he was only 15)....."
In New York Eddie joined the band of Julie Winz in 1930 as an alto-sax
player and recorded with the group. [More in a separate post.] At this
time Winz had a residency at the Roseland Ballroom where Eddie "was
able to listen closely to Coleman Hawkins, who was then starring in
Fletcher Henderson's Band."
"Then, in September 1930, he [Eddie] had a casual meeting with
trumpeter Charlie Teagarden (brother of Jack) who told him that Gil
Rodin, the alto-saxophonist with Ben Pollack's Band had decided to
leave the band, and Pollack was looking for a replacement."
However Rodin decided to stay, but tenor saxist Babe Russin  was
leaving. When Pollack asked Eddie did he play tenor, Ray Bauduc jumped
in and said yes before Eddie could answer. He borrowed a tenor from
Nappy Lamare's brother Jimmy, "Pollack liked what he heard, and
arranged for Eddie to buy a brand new Conn tenor saxophone."
However, notwithstanding the above, I do not know of any recordings
with Eddie Miller playing alto.
Nor can I hear any direct Coleman Hawkins' influences in Eddie Millers'
wonderful tenor playing.
Kind regards,
Bill.