[Dixielandjazz] Instruments and vibrato

David Richoux tubaman at tubatoast.com
Sun Sep 23 19:20:34 PDT 2007

Just like any other military item - band instruments were produced to
specification, regulations and quantities (many of those procurement
specs for military band instruments were written by a certain
Representative C. G.Conn from Indiana - he was in Congress well
before the Spanish American War and exclusive contracts with the Conn
company lasted to WW1 and beyond.) I have owned several Conn horns
marked USQMC (United States Quartermaster Corps) from WW1 Army bands.

As I mentioned in a previous message, I don't think the surplus
instruments from the early years of the Civil War would have survived
30-40 years to to be used much in New Orleans in the 1900s, but there
was likely to be a flood of better quality instruments available
after the Spanish American War of 1898. There was a strong Army and
Navy Supply establishment in New Orleans at the time and the way
things are surplused out of the services has not changed much in 150
years. Some local agent could have purchased large numbers of horns
and dumped them on the 2nd hand markets of the city.

It would be interesting to look closely at Louis Armstrong's "First
Horn" to see if there was a military marking on the bell!

However, if we ignore all of that completely and just look at the
history of ALL brass bands in the US from 1865 to 1900 it become
obvious that there were many thousands of instruments produced in the
USA (and Europe) that would be all over the place - finding cheap 2nd
or 3rd hand instruments in a city the size of New Orleans would be no
problem.

Certainly easier than it would be now that Werlein's has moved out to
Metairie...;-)

Dave Richoux