[Dixielandjazz] Instruments and vibrato

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Sun Sep 23 15:08:21 PDT 2007

The black instrumentalists were, for the most part, untrained, and played by
ear; often missing a note in a melody and then coming back to it.  They
would literally "stagger" around the melody.
This is the first time anyone has confirmed my theory that very early Jazz
was actually musicians making mistakes and that in trying to play tunes
things happened.  Of course early jazz is such a mix of so many threads
saying that any one was the start is in error.

I believe that the Dixieland form can be directly traced to Sousa and Mozart
but even that is an oversimplification and not entirely true.  As time went
by the "mistakes" became traditional licks.  I think the only safe thing to
say is that jazz is a true mix of American, European and African culture.
Everything influenced everything else.

My only disagreement with all of this is the number of instruments from
military bands that were supposed to have flooded the market after several
wars.  I have no idea of the history of pawn shops but just how many could
New Orleans have had and how did all those musicians just happen to show up
in New Orleans just to hock their horn.  Now some have pointed out that New
Orleans was a main port during the Spanish American war but so were several
others.  Why didn't we see a growth of Jazz or something else from those
cities?  I also don't accept that the U.S. government just let them take
their instruments when mustered out.  Could have happened but the government
didn't let them take their horse, gun, cannon or ship so expensive musical
instruments in any number, I don't think so.  Also during the Spanish
American war there just weren't lots military of bands.

Now about the Southern Bands after the Civil war.  Again they were pretty
beaten down and extremely fragmented.  Organized military bands by the end
of the war, I'm pretty sure, were very few and far between.

There just seems to be more logic in favor of some other source than
military bands for the inexpensive instruments that did exist at that time.
It's probably true that some did come from there but I have never seen any
documented evidence to that as being a source of any consequence.

I would really like to know where those instruments came from but I just
think it's too far back and it just wasn't something anyone would document.

The other thing that might make this premise more understandable is that
maybe there weren't that many musicians or people in the market for
instruments and that maybe the numbers were really quite small.  After all
Jesus only needed 12 disciples.
Larry
St. Louis