[Dixielandjazz] Sounding like somebody else.

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Thu Sep 20 13:24:23 PDT 2007

The article you quote reads "For his 1961 release, Jazz at the
Metropole (Philips), recorded live at the club, Yaged was able to assemble
an incredibly impressive cast of sidemen. These included the granddaddy of
all tenor saxophonists, Coleman Hawkins, Sheppard on vibes, stride pianist
Claude Hopkins, trumpeter Pee Wee Ervin, trombonist Benny Morton and
Armstrong bassist Arvell Shaw. The music has Yaged center stage for a
wonderful adventure in swing."  We, my friends and I (on of those
friends says he canno listen to Dixieland anymore; Dixieland, for him,
includes Wild Bill, Hackett, etc., but not Turk Murphy of Kid Thomas -
those are "New Orleans) became enamoured with Yaged after hearing this
album.
Perhaps Yaged is not  just "a Benny Goodman clone," but, in a Leonard
Feather "Blindfold Test" many years ago, Jack Teagarden first
identified him as BG, but then corrected himself, mentioning that
Yaged concentrated on a certain period of Goodman.
And Yaged may be very busy, but not rich.
You say "there are a lot more of them (musicians with recognizable
personal sound) around than we know of,because we are mostly hearing
OKOM by copycats and not what's really happening in jazz."  Actually,
I was not referring to currently playing musicians (I must admit that,
out of context, I find it difficult to identify most of them, with the
possible exception of Tony Pringle, probably due to so many
influences), but rather to the swing era.  There were numerous bands,
employing thousands of musicians, all had soloists, but how many were
recognizable?  Most white saxophonists sounded like Bud Freeman (to
thisa day, I find it difficult to tell Eddie Miller and Bud apart, and
amazing that they should have developed such a similar style each on
his own), while most black saxophonists sounded like Coleman Hawkins
(and yes, I usually can identify Tate, l usually can identify Tate,
Hersal Evans or Choo Berry).
So OK, the personal sound may be set the men from the boys, but there
would be no music without the latter!  My admiration for BG or show
does not prevent me from enjoying Larry Clinton (nor should it).
And when a Belgian trombone player is referred to as the "European
Louis Nelson (or os it Jim Rbinson), does that nean that he has found
a "money making niche"  "by sounding exactly like ..."  Certainly not!
 And I am not even sure he really does sound "exactly like," but I
don't think that he would be identifiable if one did not know it was a
European trombone player.  I heard him with John Brunious, for my
money - one of the best trumpeters to have come from New Orleans in
later years, even (or rather - because) he doesn't sound like Kid
Thomas (in whose band he subbed at the 1980 New Orleans fest - the
only one I've attended), and, to my ears, the trombone sounded good,
and certainly fulfilled its role on the band!
Cheers

that a money making niche can be had by