[Dixielandjazz] FW: FW: Vibrato

Jim Kashishian jim at kashprod.com
Thu Sep 20 08:30:10 PDT 2007

Brian wrote:
Researching further I found that many fine New Orleans horn men like Peter
Bocage and Papa Mutt Carey, with expert techniques, also used a wide
vibrato. People in New Orleans claim that this is (was always) a "dialect"
of the city and certainly not due to poor technique.

My original statement...that started all of this...was, that if you can't
play a flat tone, then your vibrato (or dialect, or whatever) has become a
defect (or is incorrect, or whatever!).

An F1 driver learns to drive on a normal highway first (I would imagine),
then he purposely decides to break all the rules by driving on a track in a
different manner.  But, I daresay he can go back to the highway & drive
properly.

Jim