[Dixielandjazz] FW: Vibrato

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Thu Sep 20 12:40:36 PDT 2007

now
may be unable to play without it.
____________________________________
Playing with constant vibrato seems to be a problem with flute players and
people who use diaphragm vibrato.  When I use it it's in a very specific and
controlled way.  i.e.: slow ballads or on the end of tunes.  The diaphragm
doesn't seem to be as controllable as the other methods of vibrato.

Probably the least controllable is the throat vibrato.  It's either zero or
100% because it's a rather violent, throat constricting method.  Some
singers use it more or less effectively depending on taste but because there
is no back pressure they can get away with it.

On flute there just isn't any other way to produce vibrato except by
diaphragm.  Some double reed players also use it.  Sax players that use it
just can't do other types of vibrato such as the Miller vibrato.  I sat next
to a very fine sax player one time that used only diaphragm vibrato.  He
went nuts because it was a Mickey band with lots of wide section vibrato.

These people even use it when they tune up which is a real big NO NO.  When
they do that you get the feeling that they just can't turn it off.
Larry
StL