[Dixielandjazz] Vibrato for clarinets

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Thu Sep 20 10:55:07 PDT 2007

I think that the clarinet becomes a whole different instrument when vibrato is used and I personally think that it adds a whole new dimension and level of artistic expression.  Eliminating vibrato, to me, is the same as eliminating dynamics, speed variations or any of the myriad expressions that a clarinet or any other wind instrument is capable.

If you don't want to deal with vibrato, take up the piano or drums.

There is one glitch and that is when young clarinet players go to contest.  BTW contests are a big deal in a lot of schools.  Vibrato is often graded down if used.  Some judges love it and others will give a deduction for it.  No one seems to be neutral about it.

I always informed my students of this and recommended that it not be used unless the director asked for it and almost always in a solo rather than in section.

Vibrato is typically not taught in H.S because clarinets almost always work in section.   That is assuming the typical H.S. band director has the time and ability to teach it or just doesn't have his head up his A**.   I taught it to clarinet players if they were also sax players and had some musical taste.  It can be chaos in a section if you have a bunch of kids trying it and they don't know what they are doing.

Clarinet vibrato at least on the H.S. level is a very mixed bag.
Larry
St. Louis