[Dixielandjazz] vibrato

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Wed Sep 19 08:52:15 PDT 2007

If it sounds good - it is good."

> Defect ot not - that's what made these pople great!

I said before that I don't particularly like the very fast, twittery, Dolly
Parton / Minnie Mouse vibrato but it's also very obvious that millions of
people out there do like it and that it's a style that Dolly and some others
make work for them.

Many musicians and singers do something that is all wrong but either through
accident, unique anatomy or hard work they overcome what to others is a
gross defect to produce something that is positive.

An obvious example is Louis Armstrong's voice.  He sounded like he had
severely damaged his vocal cords at some point (Selling Coal?) and was
probably afflicted with vocal nodes.  A lesser person might never have tried
to sing but Louis turned a gross defect into an unmistakable asset that no
one else had which illustrates his consummate showmanship.

Too many musicians and I include myself in this group are intimidated by
people who are better at something.  I use myself as a case in point.  I
never considered myself to be a vocalist and I didn't particularly like
singing.  If I needed a vocalist I hired someone which almost universally
was a pain in the a**.  Years went by and I started working a duo.  The
smaller the group the more versatile you have to be so that your sound
doesn't get boring.  I had always sung a little with bands but only one or
two tunes.  Basically I didn't like the way I sounded.  BUT! I started
singing  OKOM tunes and my bookings started going up.

This started me thinking and I looked at many different singers and
especially the ones that shouldn't be successful.  Louis Armstrong was one
of them.  I found that to be successful as a singer you did not have to have
a "good" voice.  It helps but is not necessary to success but there are two
things that are necessary (if your voice isn't "good") and that is to sing
in tune and to have showmanship and what trumps all is showmanship.

If that weren't true Louis Armstrong would never have been successful as a
singer.  People respond to showmanship much more than anything else.

After figuring out this fairly simple truth and what's more important
internalizing it so that the old shyness is gone, I now sing a lot and am
making money from it.  Go figure.

If we look carefully at other artists we can learn a lot that we can turn to
our advantage.  Every human has some defect or another and it's up to us to
overcome them if we can.  Many of those defects are simply in our own mind.
Larry
St. Louis