[Dixielandjazz] vibrato

Craig I. Johnson civanj at roadrunner.com
Wed Sep 19 11:59:51 PDT 2007

 I can't stand Bechet's vibrato on the sax, but his ideas are so good
that I listen anyway and try to ignore it. On the other hand he has
a less noticeable (to me anyway) vibrato on the clarinet and I concur
with those who like his clarinet playing.

As to Wild Bill, his off-center lip placement was not that he didn't know
better. An accident that caused him a lip injury forced him to play that way
to compensate.  If I'd not read about it nor seen pictures I'd never
have known
that he played off-center.

Regards,
Craig Johnson