[Dixielandjazz] Hearing Yourself was Guitar Playing loudly

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Tue Sep 18 14:13:51 PDT 2007

"philwilking" <philwilking at bellsouth.net>

> I always thought that, unless you're playing lead on the tune, if you can
> hear yourself individually, rather than as part of the band's blend, you are
> too loud and out of balance.

Hi Phil:

Not if you are an improvising ear player. Those of us who are collectively
improvising by ear must be able to hear their individual melodic line, as
well as everyone else's in order to play the pretty notes that mesh with the
rest of the band.

Probably also true for those who work in bands where the chordal instruments
routinely use substitute chords.

If they cannot hear themselves, as well as everyone else, the result can be
an awful train wreck.

No doubt that's why many bands use monitors which if ideally set up, will
take the blend out of balance for those in the band allowing them to hear
properly, but will not alter the balance for the audience.

Much of our Young friend Jonathan Russell's problem with intonation was that
he could not hear himself when playing in some bands. Solution? Boost him in
the monitors so that he can hear himself. Result? Great Music.

As proven at:  http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=JonathanJazz

Cheers,
Steve Barbone