[Dixielandjazz] Brass band instruments in the Civil War (was Clarinet Question)

David Richoux tubaman at tubatoast.com
Mon Sep 17 17:06:54 PDT 2007

AFAIK the theory for the design was to have the band in front so the
music could be heard by the marching troops in the parade. There were
a whole family of horns from trumpet/cornet size to Eb tuba invented
by Allen Dodworth in the 1830s and later made by Adolphe Sax. More
info at http://www.dodworth.org/ ( the generic term became Saxhorn.)

The other major reason for the design was to have instruments that
could be carried on the shoulder while playing and marching. It was
not until many years later that the "Helicon" design (recalled from
the ancient Romans) was developed for both marching and horse mounted
bands. The Sousaphone and a few rare production Helicon Tubas are the
only survivors of that idea today.

  I don't think "road apples" were much of a issue - nothing in the
brass/military band books I have mentions anything about this - but
maybe the authors were being polite. "Stuff" in the roads was quite
common in those days - I doubt it was enough of a problem to base an
entire class of instruments and marching band on!

BTW, musicians in most of the world's armies did not normally march
directly into a heated battle (Pipers, Fifers, Buglers and Drummers
were the exceptions) so having the band at the front of a parade or
column was not considered a hazard for the musicians. I have read
about some being hit by snipers, but the musicians were (and still
are) often called to duty as stretcher bearers during and after
battle (and that is much more dangerous.)

Dave Richoux