[Dixielandjazz] Clarinet Question

philwilking philwilking at bellsouth.net
Mon Sep 17 14:47:06 PDT 2007

>From what I can see in old pictures, those instruments were not built with
some idea of musical virtue, but rather as a practical solution to a
problem.
If you want a band to play marches for the troops, and you have a lot of
horses and mules in the parade (officers, wagons, and artillery), then you
need to put the band in front to let them concentrate on the music instead
of the footing. But if the instruments project forward, the men will not
hear them, therefore the "over-the-shoulder" horns. I know this is
plausible, but is it the truth?

PHIL WILKING

Those who would exchange freedom for
security deserve neither freedom nor security.