[Dixielandjazz] Clarinet Question

David Richoux tubaman at tubatoast.com
Mon Sep 17 07:45:48 PDT 2007

Phil and all,

Having owned and played some of those "over-the-shoulder" style
horns, I know why they were obsolete and out of general use long
before the pre-jazz era. I think most of the brasswind instruments
that were available in New Orleans in the 1870s and onwards would
have looked much like horns available in the 20th century (with just
minor detail differences.)

If (as Sue mentioned) the cheap used horns were available to young
New Orleans musicians in the early 1900s they would have more likely
been from the Spanish American War or from the thousands of civilian
brass bands of the 1880s.

I have many pictures of brass bands (military and civilian) from the
Civil War/War between the States on through the 1920s - after the mid
1860s very few used any "over-the-shoulder" horns.

Dave Richoux