[Dixielandjazz] Clarinet Question

philwilking philwilking at bellsouth.net
Mon Sep 17 01:02:57 PDT 2007

A small caveat:

The French army left Louisiana in 1803. It would have been old U. S. army
surplus instruments left over from the War between the States and the
subsequent occupation (1862 or '63 to 1876) which would have been available
to those with little cash money.

I have often fantasized about a jazz band playing those old army band
"backfire" instruments at a modern venue.

Even today, some reed players seek out "Albert System" clarinets for jazz.
I do know that a well played Albert clarinet has a mellower tone than a
Boehm to me. Whether it is because they usually have wider bores (if they
do), or because the Boehms have that little standpipe on the speaker key
hole sticking up into the air column, or what, I don't know. I play tenor
banjo, not clarinet.

PHIL WILKING

Those who would exchange freedom for
security deserve neither freedom nor security.