[Dixielandjazz] Clarinet Question

RoddyTpt at aol.com RoddyTpt at aol.com
Sun Sep 16 23:54:16 PDT 2007

Hi,
Regarding the Dixieland clarinet players:
1.   Sidney Bechet was an American clarinet player and whilst in  London,
picked up a soprano sax in a second hand shop. He had it overalled and  it became
his main instrument. What make of instruments or what mouthpiece  or reeds he
used on either instrument, I have no idea.
2. I am not familiar with Bobby Gordon.
3.   Archie Semple I believe was Scottish but other than that I  know very
little about him.
After the Second World War, a few small bands did become very popular such as
 Sid Phillips, Harry Gold and Harry Parry.   Then the Trad Jazz Boom  came in
such as Kenny Ball, Acker Bilk,. Chris Barber, The Clyde Valley Stompers  and
various other groups . Up until the l920's you had people such as Bix
Beiderbeck , The original Dixieland Jazz Band and Louis Armstrong etc.
Up until the l930's most clarinettists would have used the simple system
clarinet, even though the Boehm system was invented many years earlier. This was
because jazz as we know it was developed in New Orleans and the French Army
would have left behind the band instruments.  Lot of the endemic population
picked these up and started to play blues and jazz. Largely after the l930's
most people picked up the Boehm system clarinet such as Benny Goodman and Artie
 Shaw. A lot of the original players stuck by their old instruments.
Paradoxically, a lot of modern classical players have reconstructed
instruments of the type that would have been around in the days of Mozart.
Incidentally, Sid Phillips played a simple system clarinet with covered tone  holes.
My motto is, that if you have a French clarinet such as Selmer or Leblanc you
 should use a French mouthpiece. Similarly, ifyou have an American
Saxophone,you  should use an American mouthpiece.   If you have a Japanese Sax, like  a
Yanagisawa, you should use their mouthpiece.
Regarding reeds: I personally use the Canadian Legere Polypropylene reeds. I
find them suitable for all purposes and are highly recommended by many
leading  players both in jazz and in classical music.
Personally I do not get hung up on what instruments the players of the past
used. They would have probably played with something entirely difrferent if
they  were around today. Hope this helps.
Regards
Ray [UK]  --- _raypjd at tiscali.co.uk_ (mailto:raypjd at tiscali.co.uk)