[Dixielandjazz] Urbie's mouthpieces (WAS: Bechet's Reeds)

Robert Smith robert.smith at tele2.no
Mon Sep 17 12:58:59 PDT 2007

If I've understood your comments correctly, I assume that Urbie Green had a
selection of different trombone mouthpieces in his bucket, and the point he
was making was that the size and shape of the mouthpiece is far less
important than the player.

Some years ago in our local symphonic wind band we had a tuba player who was
always blaming his mouthpiece, and kept trying different ones. He stated
that the mouthpiece was extremely critical, and finding the exact one was
crucial. One day I took my French Horn mouthpiece (this is about the same
size as a trumpet mouthpiece) and stuck it in the tuba mouthpiece, and then
blew a scale. After that I never heard him complain about mouthpieces again.

Cheers

Bob Smith