[Dixielandjazz] Urbie's mouthpieces (WAS: Bechet's Reeds)

Dick Sleeman dick at sleeman.nl
Mon Sep 17 12:00:09 PDT 2007

----- Original Message -----
From: "Steve Barbone" <barbonestreet at earthlink.net>
To: "Dick Sleeman" <dick at sleeman.nl>
Sent: Monday, September 17, 2007 16:02
Subject: [Dixielandjazz] Bechet's Reeds

Steve wrote a.o:

> Bechet used all kinds of reeds.
>
> Make any difference?
>
> "Nope, you?"
>
> "Nah, me neither."
>
> The sound of your instrument is in  your head, more than it is in your
> equipment. Figure out what you want to sound like, then concentrate on
> making it so with whatever you like to use. Think about the sound, and then
> think about how to achieve it. Practice and you'll get what you are after.

In the late sixties - early seventies, when I was an audio engineer with the
Dutch Radio System, Urbie Green did a concert at Loosdrecht,
Holland, and me being the recording engineer. In the audience were just
about all jazz trombonists who were not needed elsewhere (it was in the
daytime anyway). He played two sets. During the interval between the sets he
went around with a bucket full of mouthpieces and handed them around,
saying: "I tried them all.... they're all good!"

Groeten, Dick Sleeman, Lelystad, Holland