[Dixielandjazz] There's Hope for The Young & OKOM

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Mon Sep 17 09:57:41 PDT 2007

Hopefully, Marek, some of us are. OKOM has not been presented to the young
audiences with any regularity in the USA for quite a while. The swing dance
revival, started here in the 1980s but not many OKOM bands took advantage of
it. And swing dancing is still viable for OKOM bands here.

>From my experience, those of us here who play where the kids are find that
there is a viable young audiences segment that adores OKOM. It may be small
in comparison to those kids who like current pop, hip hop, rap etc., but
then, out of the more than 30 million Americans who are over 65, how many
attend pure OKOM festivals? About 1/10th of 1 percent? <grin>

All we band leaders need to do is lose the funny hats, old fogy clothes and
start playing with the fire, energy and strong dance beat that Ellington
found so successful at Newport in 1956. Then, play where the kids are. It
just might re-ignite a few careers.

We could learn a lot from Europe and Israel about young audiences.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone