[Dixielandjazz] Bilk in Poland.

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Sun Sep 16 20:21:05 PDT 2007

  Glen Page wrote[in part]:
> I do not have any other references available at the moment but have
> read
> Bilk's biography/ autobiography, I forget which.

Dear Glen,
That book would probably have been 'Book Of Bilk' by P Leslie and P
Gwynn-Jones (London: MacGibbon and Kee 1961. Republished in 1963 by
Jazz Book Club: London).
Not only have I never seen it, I didn't know existed until I received
your email this morning.
So far as the Polish date is concerned it gets later the more I
research it.
A little 1962 book I have: 'Trad. A Who's Who of Traditional Jazz' by
Ivan Berg and Ian Yeomans says 4 years after the event:
"The present Paramount Jazz Band was formed in 1958 and played several
dates in and around the West Country before attending a 16-day
international jazz festival in Poland. Back in Britain jobs were few
and far between so the band decided to try its luck in London. Shortly
after it was back on the Continent - at the Jazz Beer Bar in
Dusseldorf."
Kind regards,
Bill.