[Dixielandjazz] Ellington-was scheduling.

Lowell Busching verbose at daktel.com
Sat Sep 15 21:40:30 PDT 2007

I found the statements made by Steve concerning the famous Ellington
concert  to have some parallels to what I experienced on one set at the
Sweet and Hot Festival, but at a MUCH smaller venue if not level. The
results did produce a mini riot of sorts so perhaps Wein's nervousness
was justified that night!  What stops a riot? Stopping an event or
letting it go on?

I think the key thing here was that according to Steve's post, it was
the last set and thus Ellington was not shortchanging some other band or
entertainer, as Bob Ringwald mentioned in a previous post on scheduling.

  Music wise I am sure Wein was astute enough to know what was happening.
I am sure he had other considerations besides the possibility of a riot.
Overtime pay perhaps for the sound people? Noise abatement due to the
hour?

Steve Said in part about the Ellington concert:

The number was full of energy. Paul Gonsalves took his famous 27
chorus solo.

It was an incredible scene with everyone hollering "GO", some rushing
the stage, others climbing on their chairs screaming and clapping.

Wein, who was just in front of me at near the front edge of the stage
started hollering at Duke. "That's enough, end it" etc. Later it was
reported that Wein was nervous that a riot might start. That's how
raucous the crowd was. But Ellington was not to be denied.

Ellington grinned at Wein, wagged a finger at him and said something
like "Don't mess with the artists." and just kept going, basking in the
moment

It was also the last set of the evening, ran about 40 minutes over etc.,
but as Ellington must have guessed, it was the beginning of a new life
for him and his music.

Such incredible energy. Such stage presence. Such audience
participation. Moments like that in jazz are very rare today and to be
savored.

It should have been a lesson to us all that this music should be danced
and gyrated to. Should be high energy, and that every performance should
be a show.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone

Well Steve. Substitute another name for Paul and Ellington in your above
story, but leave in the number of choruses, and it could well be used as
a review of the "happening" at the Sweet and Hot Festival..

The difference is the screaming and hollering occurred AFTER we
succeeded in stopping the performer in less time, but the results were
the same. Near riot. Not a pleasant situation to be in. Both fans and
musicians need to be more responsible and think of the other musicians
and THEIR fans waiting to come on board in the venue.

That thought appeared to be the furthest thing from anyone's minds
except myself and the Room manager. The show must go on, and on, and on.

Unfortunately for all concerned it was NOT the last set in this venue
for the day. Perhaps in later times that last time slot can be arranged
and the entertainer can try to "Savor the movement" again. Get the long
ovations and accolades from fellow musicians and fans alike.

If it does, I will have to be told about it. I do not plan to put myself
in "jeopardy" again at that festival.  Even in OKOM, fans and musicians
can be vicious.  It should not be.

Much like the "flamers" that used to populate the DJML in earlier times.
Plus no one knew how to send a private email!

It was a good run.

Mad dog.