[Dixielandjazz] Ellington at NewPort Diminuendo and Crescendo in Blue + Jutta Hipp

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sat Sep 15 13:01:38 PDT 2007

"Fr M J \(Mike\) Logsdon" <mjl at ix.netcom.com> asked:

> So, Steve:  YOU were actually there for Diminuendo and Crescendo in Blue???
> That's one of the first jazz records I ever heard, and was amazed.

Yes Mike, I was lucky enough to have been there, having gone there from home
in NYC with a couple of jazz musician friends of mine. Ellington's
performance was everything the media wrote about and more.

We went there specifically to hear, and encourage pianist Jutta Hipp, who I
met in Frankfurt Germany in 1954, after she had managed to escape from the
Russian Zone of East Germany. By 1956 she had moved to NYC playing for a
while at the Hickory House. Wein booked her for the 1956 Newport Festival.
She gave up music a few years later and moved to Queens in NYC, not too far
from me. Passed away a few years ago, virtually forgotten.

Neat lady, who suffered from an inferiority complex. Did not have a lot of
confidence in her ability. Couldn't handle the criticism she got for playing
similarly to Horace Silver. Very sensitive lady and an excellent jazz
pianist. Damn those critics.

RIP Jutta, we loved you and your playing.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone