[Dixielandjazz] Is it Art yet? And who decides?

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sun Sep 16 08:57:40 PDT 2007

Below excerpted From a long article in the NY Times about a dispute between
the artist, Christoph Büchel and the Massachusetts Museum of Contemporary
Art which wants to display an unfinished work they commissioned, and then
halted before completion because of budget constraints.

Interesting philosophical question as it might apply to jazz musicians.
<grin>

Cheers,
Steve Barbone

Is It Art Yet? And Who Decides?

Never underestimate the amount of resentment and hostility we harbor toward
artists. It springs largely from envy. They can behave quite badly, but
mainly they operate with a kind of freedom and courage that other people
don¹t risk or enjoy. And it can lead to wondrous things.

In the end it doesn¹t matter how many people toil on a work of art, or how
much money is spent on it. The artist¹s freedom includes the right to say,
³This is not a work of art unless I say so.²