[Dixielandjazz] Sound man sounding off 2

Kay Spencer kay2840 at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 13 16:38:17 PDT 2007

That's a good point.  Many of the non-pro groups in this area are non-profits, i.e. community bands, orchestras, choirs, etc.  They are used to performing at their own venue at their own pace.  Some of the directors like to end their program with high-energy pieces, and while it leaves everyone "up" it also tends to draw out audience insistence on encores and/or reluctance on the part of the group itself to end the program on a timely basis.  (Do we really need THREE encores???)  Anyhow it makes me appreciate other groups that have a signature closing tune that slows the pace and clearly announces the fact that "we're done now and it's time for the next set."

  By the way, even though a group may be non-professional, my guess is the director of the group IS professional, probably compensated,  and should be subject to professional standards.

  Kay in Gilroy

  This kind of thing happens when multiple acts are scheduled for a stage or
room and the event person isn't on top of everything. If the groups that
are performing are not professional then there is little incentive for them
to follow the plan.
Larry
StL