[Dixielandjazz] Sound man sounding off 2

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Thu Sep 13 09:07:53 PDT 2007

 As one of your sound men I have found the biggest problem are those
> musicians or singers who love themselves a bit too much. Getting them to
> relinquish the stage for the next group without ruffling their feathers
> can be a problem.
____________________________________________--
Earlier this summer I had my big Dixie band at an outdoor event.  We were to
set up in a circus tent and there were several groups before us.  The pop
choir that was performing before us was delayed a bit by the group before
them.  They in turn wanted to do their full concert and gave me no time to
set up.  The difference between my group and all of them is that I was
contracted to a specific time space and was also contracted to a specific
setup time.  Some of the members of the band had another gig and needed to
stick to the schedule.

There was almost a scene when it started raining and we needed to get
equipment under the tent.  Fortunately the event director was understanding
and we got paid but it was very annoying that the amateur groups couldn't
see their way to sticking to the schedule.
Larry
St.L