[Dixielandjazz] Sound man sounding off 2

Lowell Busching verbose at daktel.com
Wed Sep 12 16:52:21 PDT 2007

I just got back on the DJML and I am already getting days behind. This
is my reply to a "recent" post by "Gordon of Northridge"

Gordon said:

 >Every musician is loved by someone..... every band is loved by someone....

snip

As one of your sound men I have found the biggest problem are those
musicians or singers who love themselves a bit too much. Getting them to
relinquish the stage for the next group without ruffling their feathers
can be a problem. They are convinced that everyone at a festival is
there to hear them and the other musicians or singers are there as a
supporting cast.

I liked hearing the private responses from those entertainers who have
the luxury of being the ONLY musicians or singers for an event.
Generally speaking they can indulge themselves and the audience as long
as they want, without stepping on anyone's toes. Unless, of course, the
soundman has a social obligation after the scheduled end of the event.

Also the sound people have enough time to set up properly rather then
having 15 minutes to a half hour like at many festivals in the US.

Singers.

I also found early on that the singers invariably are sure they are not
being heard and indeed will ask some friend or relative in the audience
if they can be heard. These people are usually a few feet away near the
front of the stage and almost always respond in the negative.

The obvious solution is to put the level of the singer so FAR above that
of the backup band that the singer can hear themselves easily over the
band, with or without monitors. I have also found that without reverb
(generally not available at our festivals) the singers seem to try
harder since they know any flaws will stick out. The results usually are
quite good and no complaints of "Can you hear me now."

Gordon said.
 >We have developed rule number 2-B... ask the leader BEFORE the set
starts if  the band has a managger or spokesperson who is musically
inclined and is familiar with the sound or mix the band likes.

snip

Even better, find out if the manager or spokesperson normally does the
sound for the band or person. If so, they can not possibly do any worse
on the board then the "average inexperienced sound volunteer" you
mentioned. PLUS they get the blame if the mix is not good. Not you. Or
you get the credit if it is good.  A win-win situation. I can give examples.

Gordon said
 > we had numerous complaints about it being "too loud"... no wonder but
there is nothing the sound tech can do if the system is OFF.

snip

Or not used for a particular musician. One who either plays loud or has
a loud instrument acoustically.  You will still get blamed for having
their volume up too high, as I found from at least one listener
who had not noticed the musician was playing acoustically. Of course the
musician was surprised to learn he had played too loud as it sounded
good to him on stage.  That happens often with bass players.

Gordon said

Been thinking of preparing a "sound primer for musicians"... short and
sweet with just a hint of theory - much of which is already familiar to
musicians who double as their sound tech.

snip

Been there. Done that for the Sacramento Jazz Society.  However, it was
never released to a wide audience. Just a few musicians.  They liked it.
Maybe some day? Even the sound volunteers might find something useful?

Mad Dog