[Dixielandjazz] Tub microphones

James O'Briant jobriant at garlic.com
Wed Sep 12 10:06:01 PDT 2007

I'd also be interested in knowing how to best mic a tuba, both the type of
microphone and the placement.

Red Lehr has a small wireless microphone clipped to the edge of his bell,
and it picks up his sound pretty well.  At many festivals, one of the mics
is on a boom stand near the tuba bell.  I know that some players carry their
own microphone to best pick up the sound of their particular instrument
(Nancy Kreis, clarinetist with the Midnight Rose Jazz Band comes to mind).

So, what have y'all found works best for tubas?

Jim O'Briant
Tuba
Gilroy, CA