[Dixielandjazz] Who was Jo Trent?

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Wed Sep 12 15:04:21 PDT 2007

Don Mopsick wrote [in part]:
> We have for years come across the name of a lyricist Jo Trent as a
> collaborator on such well-known (to some of us on this list at least)
> jazz
> tunes as Muddy Water, Rhythm King, Goose Pimples, Georgia Bo-Bo, and
> others
> less known.
> The mystery is the race and gender of this person. We have conflicting
> evidence supporting that Jo was either a white male and a black woman.

Dear Don,
The short answer is that HE was black.
The long answer can be found on pages 191-201 of 'Spreadin' Rhythm
Around. Black Popular Songwriters, 1889-1930'. by David H Jasen and
Gene Jones. (1998. Schirmer Books. New York.)
An interesting read which includes a photograph of him.
Several other sources I have confirm that Joseph H Trent was male.
Very kind regards,
Bill.