[Dixielandjazz] Re; Satchmo and H.L. Clarke

Don Mopsick mophandl at landing.com
Wed Sep 12 10:55:54 PDT 2007

Bob Romans writes:

It has been my understanding that Joe "King" Oliver recorded (and composed)
that cadenza before Louis made his own recording of it.    Have I been
misinformed?

No Bob, you are correct. And Oliver's version is amazing given that he
didn't have nearly the chops Louis did.

> > The article then talks about the cadenza from West End Blues. In the

> > writer's opinion, by itself, the cadenza is more a display of classical

> > virtuosity than jazz. It is only when the rest of the jazz tune is added

> > that the cadenza could then be classified as jazz.

The person who wrote this has trouble hearing the quality of swing rhythm,
which is what distinguishes jazz from classical. Most jazz fans agree that
both Louis and Oliver swing the crap out of this intro, even though it is
out of tempo.

mopo