[Dixielandjazz] Sound men...speaking of...

David Richoux tubaman at tubatoast.com
Tue Sep 11 14:05:07 PDT 2007

eyewitness account of the speech by Lincoln:

from http://www.eyewitnesstohistory.com/gtsburgaddress.htm

A crowd of fifteen to twenty thousand crowded around the speakers'
platform. Everett spoke first, holding the audience spell-bound for
almost two hours. Lincoln then rose and delivered his address in less
than two minutes. The audience's response was muted, probably due to
surprise at the brevity of the speech. Seeing his audience's
reaction, Lincoln remarked to a companion: "It is a flat failure and
the people are disappointed." However, the following day, Everett
wrote the President praising his speech and pronouncing it one of the
best he had heard. As the words Lincoln spoke that day were spread by
the newspapers, public reaction concurred and Lincoln's few sentences
have come to be regarded as one the best speeches in American history.

  (diaries and letters of John Hay (1939); Kunhardt, Phillip, B.
Lincoln at Gettysburg (1983)

David RIchoux