[Dixielandjazz] Sound men...speaking of...

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Wed Sep 12 10:14:14 PDT 2007

I didn't ask that - that snip (speakers etc) was from someone else's e-mail.

My point was that unless you had an acoustically perfect place which that
spot at Gettysburg is not, it's almost impossible to cover that many people
even crowded together without absolute silence and extremely powerful
speakers.  It could be done in an acoustically perfect amphitheatre with
trained speakers and almost dead silence.  It's also true that low sounds
travel further than high sounds.  Lincoln's voice was high pitched which
might work against him.

On the plus side it was a somber occasion and the people might have been
more reverent than they might have been in another place and time.

On the minus side you have a crowd all bunched together and being bored to
tears with a two hour oration might not have been as attentive as they
should.

I would think the people within a hundred feet or so would hear very well
and possibly out to 300 feet.  Now I don't know how many people you can
crowd into a semi circle 300 feet in radius but I'm sure it's a lot but to
say that 15,000 people heard that speech is IMHO stretching it more than a
bit.

Imagine 15000 people in a place without one porta potty - Awesome

I guess that we will never know since none of us was there and there are no
recordings and first person comments were few.
Larry
StL