[Dixielandjazz] What is Jazz?

philwilking philwilking at bellsouth.net
Mon Sep 10 23:55:47 PDT 2007

Ah well, each of us has his preferences, but it seems to me we don't
disagree by much.

I prefer that when someone announces a title I recognize, he plays it
recognizably at least once ("using the song as a starting off point"). This
does not mean I want him to play ten choruses all alike, only that when he
starts to "improvise," that his variations on the theme do not lose all
contact with said theme. That is what I dislike about so much "modern"
stuff, it sounds to me as though the player is having a bad LSD flashback
("Like wow man, the notes smell purple!") and has not only laid the tune
aside (if he ever played it at all), but has completely forgotten where he
left it.

I suspect I am not unique.

PHIL WILKING

Those who would exchange freedom for
security deserve neither freedom nor security.