[Dixielandjazz] What is Jazz?

Robert S. Ringwald robert at ringwald.com
Mon Sep 10 22:14:56 PDT 2007

 philwilking wrote:

> Many have tried to say what jazz is, with varying success.
>
> May I suggest that at least part of the definition refers to what it is
> NOT. If the number does not a melody which can be whistled or hummed, it
> is not jazz.
 (snip)

Dear Phil,

I have to strongly disagree with your statement.

You may prefer hearing the melody.  However, one of the oldest descriptions
of Jazz is improvisation.

This means that a musicians is not necessarily playing the song as written.
He is taking liberties with it, using the song as a starting off point and
then creating something from that.

Best,

--Bob Ringwald