[Dixielandjazz] What is Jazz?

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Wed Sep 12 05:33:41 PDT 2007

I must agree with Phil.
As to improvisation, if we believe the jazz historians, it was
originally called "faking," because the New Orleans musicians, many of
whom could not read music, had "to fake."  Later it became the
foundation of jazz, but its beginnings were humble.
And I've read complaints about Bill Allred's playing being
"uninteresting."  When I enquired how that could be, the answer was
that  "melody" was not recognizable at all times.
Cheers