[Dixielandjazz] Jazz? Tunes or Language?

L Patrick Briody lpbriody at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 10 16:47:16 PDT 2007

Listmates:
  I'm with Marek, but not adamantly so.  I think that a language requires more than a vocabulary of phrases; a language requires a grammar, a structure of rules.  Applied to music, that implies keys/chords/progressions/tunes.  But these should not confine music from including programmatic forms - unstructured, emotion-stimulating. Perhaps Coltrane and Davis are of the latter.  I think Marek, and I, would prefer the former.  But that's a matter of preference, not necessarily definition.
  Regards,
  Pat
Marek Boym <marekboym at gmail.com> wrote:
  "A language?" Sure. But then, tunes become irrelevant, and they very
much are. I have heard some "jazz" standards played in a completely
"unjazzy" way (how about a saccharine rendition of "The man I Love?").
Same goes for "Giant Steps," whether one considers Coltrane's "music"
jazz or not (personally, and I don't care what you think about it, I
do not consider it music, hence - not jazz).
Cheers