[Dixielandjazz] Adjusting Sound

billsharp sharp-b at clearwire.net
Sun Sep 9 18:30:16 PDT 2007

For the Napa valley sound man- - -In iieu of having someone stand at a
mic and say,  "Check, check, check" repeatedly, I have found another
way that seems to work for me, and that is to snap your fingers with a
good "pop" in front of the mic.  With practice your ears will learn to
hear the correct amount for the volume setting.  If you don/t hear any
"pop" in the room, turn it up.  If too much "pop", you'll notice it
bouncing off the walls.

Using this system you can adjust the volume by yourself  quite
decently.  One of the first things I do when I walk onto a stage for
the first time with the mics  already live (and  supposedly "adjusted")
is to snap my fingers in front of each mic.  I have done this so often
that I can readily detect an out of balance mic.

Happy snapping,
Bill Sharp