[Dixielandjazz] Adjusting Sound

Lowell Busching verbose at daktel.com
Sun Sep 9 21:02:52 PDT 2007

Now if I could only learn to snap my fingers and make a sound. My father
could do that and whistle loud too. I never could do either.. Personally
I just make sure one at a time that the levels are about equal for each
mike with  a couple words and then wait until the first group plays
their first number.

As someone said, in OKOM most bands play first a number introducing each
player and before and after with the whole group. I get my balance then
and then leave it up to them. The musicians seem to like that method or
do not complain.

Then again it may be the lack of communication thing again?  Who knows.
If you tweak on every number the musicians either get annoyed or never
learn to use the mikes and mix themselves. As long as everyone hears
everyone else, they seem happy.  If they don't, they should say so,
during the performance.  The mikes work for speech also.

Oh yes. Contrary to popular belief, mostly by musicians, I have not
noticed a lot of difference, if any, in the mix if I do it from a set up
beside the stage, usually stage right near the piano, or from some point
out front center!

I DO go out once or twice to confirm this. I seldom if ever find any
reason to change the mix again. Personal preference.  Of course I am
talking with no monitors or the monitors off for the setup.  Monitors
just confuse things for the sound people. No one seems to be completely
satisfied with the monitor mix. Usually a compromise.

Use monitors only if you can not hear each other. Try one number without
monitors first. My opinion.

Mad Dog