[Dixielandjazz] Elazar's Dilemma

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Tue Sep 4 11:15:57 PDT 2007

> It's part of the business of being a leader. I have taken the tuba  player
> off of my list, and have spread the word around that he is  unreliable.

It seems that young players especially are not aware of the word of mouth
power and networking many of us do.  There is a young trombone player here
that is quite good but he has stiffed so many leaders that he won't be able
to buy a gig.  That very same guy a year ago actually begged and showed up
for a gig free just for a chance to sit in and play Dixie.

Players should be rated like EBay sellers or consumer reports with stars or
something.

Once on the unreliable list it's hard to get on the good list.  For whatever
reason some guys never seem to get it.  That trombone player has missed
about six or eight jobs from me alone.

The music business operates on a hand shake but if your hand shake is no
good then what else do you have.  Personally if a gig gets put on my
calendar it's firm no matter if something really big comes along.  There is
one exception.  My cornet player and I often split off and do other gigs
because we are both band leaders and book other things but he and I know
that might happen and we both have suitable subs to call for most things.
Larry
StL