[Dixielandjazz] Elazar's Dilemma

David Richoux tubaman at tubatoast.com
Mon Sep 3 17:16:02 PDT 2007

As a "regular" sideman in several Bay Area bands (and many times a
fill-in with other bands) over the last almost 30 years I have
noticed two camps on the "substitute issue."  Some (rare) bandleaders
will let their regular players get replacements, most prefer to do it
themselves. It may be because there is a large pool of musicians to
choose from in this area, but most of the calls I get are from the
bandleaders.

I always try to be most available for the "main band" that I have
been in since 1983, but if I DO make a commitment to  a fill-in (with
enough lead-time) it is rarely an issue.

Dave Richoux
(by the way - if you are in the area - my "main band" is playing on
Sunday, September 9, 2007, from 1:00 to 5:00 PM, the Napa Valley
Dixieland Jazz Society at the Lodge, 2840 Soscol Avenue, in Napa. )