[Dixielandjazz] Elazar's Dilemma

Mike Woitowicz banjomusic at charter.net
Mon Sep 3 16:31:51 PDT 2007

Elazar:

1. First priority is to satisfy the customer. You did that. As a band leader, you carry the negotiating responsibility -- not the sideman.

2. Fire the sideman. He is responsible for bringing equipment that works, as well as his talent.

I've had similar situations. A tuba player called me 1 week before a Mardi Gras gig and said his regular band got a job ("I've played with this band for 15 years and I have an obligation to be there"), and he was cancelling his date with me. I had booked him about 6 weeks before the event and he cancelled a week out. Of course, everyone else was working that week, so I had to bring in a substitute from about 100 miles away, at premium pay to cover travel. I ate the cost and did the gig.

I told him it was his responsibility to find an acceptable substitute. He refused, and said he didn't want to get into a pissing contest with me on the issue.

It's part of the business of being a leader. I have taken the tuba player off of my list, and have spread the word around that he is unreliable.

Mike Woitowicz
The Banjo Barons Ragtime Band
The Dixie Barons Dixieland Band
www.banjomusic.biz