[Dixielandjazz] Problem at wedding gig

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Tue Sep 4 11:36:55 PDT 2007

and by the
time he gets back this will be forgotten, hopefully,
______________________________
I would forget his name too and you know what?  There are certain telephone
numbers that I just can't seem to find either.  On top of that I tend to
tell all the other leaders I know too.  Here there is an informal black list
among the leaders.  There is a piano player who drinks a lot who just about
can't buy a job anymore.

Bad things happen occasionally in the music business and sometimes you take
a loss.  I spell that out clearly in my subcontractor's agreement.  I get
less money - they get less money.  You are wise to not make any waves at the
wedding.

In this country, to be in business, as a contractor or sub contractor you
must be liable for potential loss.  Stuff Happens.

Advice to band leaders --- Never, Never but Never let a side man talk to a
customer about anything pertaining to business matters.  There are guys that
will slip them a card or give them their tele number or screw up something.
Also never let a sideman select his own sub.  That's typically bad business
for you.
Larry
StL