[Dixielandjazz] Why is it that big business always gets a holdof art and takes the life blood out of it?

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Sat Oct 27 12:02:45 PDT 2007

I'm sure bands would do that here in St. Louis but they have laws to prevent
it.  About the only way is to convince a merchant to let you play in front
of his business and get it cleared through city hall.  Taking tips is
strictly off limits most places.  They passed these laws in the late 1940's
to clear the streets of beggars.  Now it's almost universal.

Besides those laws, there are noise abatement laws too.  I got closed down
at a wedding, at a restaurant even though all the instruments were acoustic
and we weren't even near a home.  If someone complains you are dead in the
water.

Get the blessing of business and city hall or don't do it.
Larry
StL.