[Dixielandjazz] Why is it that big business always gets a hold ofart and takes the life> blood out of it?

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Sat Oct 27 11:38:34 PDT 2007

What it boils down to is the question is it art or is it commercial and can
it be both?

I happen to be a commercial artist.  I do layouts and occasionally do
something original.  My customers love me and everyone on this list has seen
my artwork.  It appears in all the major's parking lots (Wal Mart - Lowe's -
Home Depot) and on at least 4000 trucking companies mud flaps.  Not a one of
you remember it at all and probably no one considers it art at all.  I make
a ton of money doing that and work only about 2-3 hours a day and sometimes
not at all.

My son in law who is a real artist with actual talent can't do what I do.
I'm not an artsy craftsy guy.  My son in law would be lucky to sell his
cartoons and work but just can't seem to do it.  He rarely makes a dime on
it.

Being an innovator is great and even possibly in the music business the gold
ring to fortune.  If that's what you want to go for then I think it's great
and if you can get others to sign onto your dream even better but when I
want to be "Artsey" the biggest problem I have is everybody around here
wants a $100 bill in his hand or else go away.

Getting a group of someone's to sign on for whatever and wherever the mood
takes us, probably for free because we won't make any money for maybe a long
time and then getting the audience to like it and what's more important pay
for it.

If you don't care about the money then I think it's great to do whatever and
more power to you.  The true artist probably doesn't care.  He  is listening
to his own metronome and has his own goals that don't have to mesh with
anyone else.  If someone else shares that then great.

Personally I have taken the same commercial art approach that I use in my
business.

Do I play Jazz?  Yes I do but heavy and not all the time.  Most of the time
I play commercial music that is what the crowd wants to hear, sort of like a
live juke box.  By balancing what I do I get to do both and I'm still in the
business which is really important to me.

At the end of the day my "art" keeps me in business and people pay me to do
what I do.  There is absolutely nothing wrong with business or what it might
demand.  Artists don't have to sign their name to any corporate deals.  They
choose to for the MONEY.  It's a partnership and in all partnerships someone
gets to be on the bottom.

Most business finds a formula and then does it over and over again.  A good
example is McDonald's Hamburger.  Find the formula and repeat it.  Bands do
exactly the same thing.  I fail to see what's wrong with that. Not every
band or musician is capable of or even wants to be all that innovative but
they like to entertain, make a few bucks and enjoy playing for an audience
that likes what they do.  If this weren't true we wouldn't be so plagued
with hobby musicians.

It seems to me that it's business that forces innovation because they have
their hand on the pulse of what people want.  They try this and that and
find something that works and then go for it.  They do try to influence
people to buy what they are selling.  The instant the books show loss they
bail out and try other things.  They always have a plan B and new people
waiting in the wings.  It's the other things that push the business forward
and that's exactly why most of us decry the fact that few people hire OKOM
bands and that it's not real profitable.  Big business and the public simply
moved on to other things.

It would be wonderful to be totally free but I live on this planet and have
to make a living.  I think the trick is to strike the balance between the
demands of the commercial world and what makes you satisfied with your music
and art.
Larry
StL.