[Dixielandjazz] Speaking about Jazz Myths (Storyville)

D and R Hardie darnhard at ozemail.com.au
Thu Oct 18 16:08:16 PDT 2007

Hi Steve.
              Recent historians have sought to dispel the earlier  view
that jazz was born in the whorehouses.
There the music was mainly by rags and blues and songs played by
  piano professors, though one madam apparently played a cornet.
             The cabarets and saloons in Storyville however used small
bands, though there was an early
ban on loud  music.
             A date of significance was 1907 when cornettist Freddy
Keppard got approval to play cabarets in the district.
Armstrong's comment carefully includes cafes, cabarets and Beer halls
and the dating he gives 1910/17 fits
with the above. I doubt anyone would deny that the red light district
did  provide significant employment for musicians.
           Recently some writers have suggested the closing of the
district in 1917 did not cause the well known
exodus of musicians to Chicago.
           Louis memory appears appears to have been accurate enough.

regards
Dan Hardie
Check out the website at:
http://members.ozemail.com.au/~darnhard/EarlyJazzHistory.html