[Dixielandjazz] Speaking about Jazz Myths . . .

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Thu Oct 18 14:37:13 PDT 2007

Well there might have been but how could he know anywhere near accurately?
In that pre union day there were no lists made of the bands (at least I
don't think so) and if it's anything like today then bands come and go
pretty rapidly.  In this day and age, at least here, everyone has a band or
two and we draw on the musician pool.  Today I'm a leader, tomorrow I'm
working for someone and next week he might be working for me.

I think that it might be just an educated guess at best.

With all the time I have lived and played in StL I haven't a clue as to how
many bands there are or musicians either.  I can tell you how many big bands
there are pretty close but combos?  There's just no way.  I realize that
N.O. at that time was a lot smaller than StL but counting bands is like
herding frogs.

Closing the district forced jazz out of town and that was a good thing for
us.  It might have stayed more or less local like Cajun music,  Polka bands
in Wisconsin or sort of quaint like Appalachian folk music.  I think that
may be a good illustration.  For many years I toured Wisconsin with the AF
and it seemed that during festivals there was a polka band on every street
corner .  I would be hard pressed to find one here.  Without the dispersal
of jazz musicians it might not have caught on in the same way or went as
big.
Larry
StL