[Dixielandjazz] Speaking about Jazz Myths . . .

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Thu Oct 18 08:55:11 PDT 2007

Seems some of the current jazz writers are now saying that "The District"
(Storyville) was not as important to the development of Jazz as first
thought.

I am somewhat mystified by that, while readily admitting that I am not
particularly knowledgeable about the New Orleans Jazz scene from say 1900 to
1917 when Storyville kicked the working girls out. What I do know is merely
this quote from Louis Armstrong. It was written by him in 1969, following a
recollection that there were 126 gig bands in N.O. at the time, booked
almost every night and may be subject to faulty memory as well as his young
age (9 to 16).

"If it wasn't for those good musicians and the Entertainers who appeared
nightly in the Red Light District - Clubs, etc - the District wouldn't have
been anything. Music lovers from all parts of the city came to hear them
play Genuine Jazz. Speaking of some of the Musicians during those real
beautiful days in different places in the District way back from 1910 to
1917 when they closed it down. One could hear real good jazz telling it -
like it was. Any place you should go in the District, whether it was a Cafe
- Cabaret or Saloon - or if you should just stop in some place for a few
drinks and listen - you heard the best in Jazz."

My question is:  Was Louis wrong, or exagerating?

Cheers,
Steve Barbone