[Dixielandjazz] Rasslin' Til The Wagon Comes

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Sun Oct 14 20:49:46 PDT 2007

  Robert S. Ringwald wrote (in part):
> I don't know about the song "Rasslin' Till The Wagon Comes".  But in
> the song, "You've been a good Ol' Wagon" that Bessie Smith sings, I
> always thought the word that sounds like "Rasslin'" was really
> southern black dialect for "arrested".
> I think the words are, "We'll be arrested when the wagon comes."  But
> a lot of singers say Rasslin'.
> "We'll be arrested when the wagon comes," makes a lot more sense.

Dear Bob,
I think you mean Bessie's "Gimme a Pigfoot" and the line "We gonna be
rasslin' when the wagon comes".
If you 'google' this song you will come across lyric sites which quote
OTHER singers using the word "arrested".
On the Bessie, which was one of the first 78s I owned, she definitely
sings 'rasslin'" [you can hear the 'n' sound].
I've just replayed the John RT Davies beautifully remastered version on
the Frog CD. And also the version on Scott Alexander's Red Hot Jazz
Archive site.
Angela Y Davis confirms my ears in the definitive book 'Blues Legacies
and Black Feminism' (1998. Vintage Books) which contains accurate
lyrics for ALL the Bessie Smith and Ma Rainey songs, plus some of
Billie's thrown in.
In the context of the song I don't think "rasslin'" means the
hand-to-hand sport carried out in a ring before an audience.
8>)
Kind regards,
Bill.