[Dixielandjazz] Rasslin' Til The Wagon Comes

Robert S. Ringwald robert at ringwald.com
Sun Oct 14 19:23:27 PDT 2007

 Gerard Bielderman wrote:

 > Thanks, Bill Haesler and Craig Johnson. Now I know more than I expected
> about this song!
> I only had to google to find out that rassling is dialect for wrestling!
(snip)

I don't know about the song "Rasslin' Till The Wagon Comes".  But in the
song, "You've been a good Ol' Wagon" that Bessie Smith sings, I always
thought the word that sounds like "Rasslin'" was really southern black
dialect for "arrested".

I think the words are, "We'll be arrested when the wagon comes."  But a lot
of singers say Rasslin'.

"We'll be arrested when the wagon comes," makes a lot more sense.

--Bob Ringwald