[Dixielandjazz] Original Sheet Music was St Louis Blues, Whip Me, Worn Ou...

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Thu Oct 11 21:45:19 PDT 2007

I hear you Ginny. I guess all jazz musicians have at least one so called fan
who corrects us if we do not meet his/her criteria for what "authentic" jazz
is. Or who plays it, or what instruments must be used etc., etc., etc. Or
who bends our ears about what he/she perceives jazz in general to be.

Best to smile sweetly and say; Look dummy, Bessie Smith did it differently
than W. C. wrote it, and Louis Armstrong was the trumpet backing her up on
the record in the 1920s. If it's good enough for them that way, it's good
enough for me. Then hand him your axe and ask him to play it "correctly".

Besides, W.C. Handy stole part of that song in the first place, so who knows
how it really should go.

Re  Josephine's second line, "When you musha, pleasa no pusha onna da bell."
Heck all of us old guys , especially Italian Americans, know that song.
Barbone Street's guitarist, Sonny Troy, played it often when he was with
Louis Prima years ago.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone