[Dixielandjazz] Playing along

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Tue Oct 2 11:25:46 PDT 2007

Jim ---I mentally blocked out the
trombonist
___________________
I try to block out the trombone players all the time - :) LOL

I thought you were talking about something else.  That sounds like a good
plan.  One time I was playing on the Mississippi Queen with the Jimmy Dorsey
ghost band.  The first night with a new book, insane keys and no one had
ever played together before turned out to be something of a disaster
although I have heard many bands do a lot worse.

The leader couldn't fire anybody and couldn't get any subs.   The first
night the lead trumpet player grew a big fat rosy fever blister on his lip,
the bass player's amp blew and the drummer wasn't a big band kicker
(wonderful OKOM musician though). The Leader's foul personality didn't help
much either.  The biggest problem was we couldn't rehearse so all the horn
players got together in the lounge and sang through all the tunes that were
coming up for that night.  It was like a miracle had happened the second
night out.
Larry
StL